Jul 7, 2008

Sporty Sunday!

It turned out to be a splendid, super-dooper Sunday yesterday. India met Srilanka in Asia cup finals, King of grass was beaten by a 22 yr old king of clay and Hamilton wins the slippery race to gain his first win at home and tops the driver’s championship. The result: I was sitting in front of my idiotic box for the whole day.

To start with, I was eagerly waiting for the Asia cup finals. Dhoni and his men were looking confident with a strong batting line-up. Even I thought it would be just a cakewalk for our young team.

When I saw SL scoring 66/4 in 12 overs I thought I could now switch to one of my favorite Mahesh babu’s movie. But after some time I was shocked to see the scorecard reading 125 in 32 overs without any wicket loss. Sanath Jayasuriya was thrashing RP Singh with his sixes and scored 26 runs in just one over. Jayasuriya was on fire and I got relieved, only when Shewag dismissed him. Dilshan and Kulasekara did a good job and helped SL to post a decent total of 273 on board.



Later, India had a grand start. Sehwag was swinging his bat in all directions. With the way the things were going I thought sehwag would finish the match in 40 overs. Sometimes God sends great threats in small packages too. There came Ajanta Mendis with his spell bounding first over. First victim was Sehwag. Men in blue were struggling to defend this ‘so-called’ sensational spinner’s spell. At one point the scores read 155/8 in 31 overs. India lost hope when dhoni left at 160. At the end mendis figures read 8-1-13-6, which is now one among the most economical 5-wicket haul. India was bowled out for 173 runs.



I wouldn’t blame India for having lost the finals. They infact gave a tough fight. Ishant, Sehwag and dhoni were quite good. The energetic young team now needs some experience and luck.

Already shocked with mendis miracle, federer’s defeat to rafael nadal came as no surprise to me. Five times champion, King of Wimbledon, five continuous winning streaks everything was shattered and ruined by a small but high-spirited guy from Spain.



The nerve-shredded fourth set tiebreaker was finally closed with Nadal’s 2 match points and he was crowned as Wimbledon Champion 2008. I felt this was the greatest game of tennis I have ever watched as I could see a small boy turning into a real time fighter.

Nadal, who is known as ’king of clay’ has now proved his ability on grass by beating the king of grass. It was really nice to see the young master with his country flag in hand, hugging his folks and walking to the royal box to greet the prince and princess of Spain. I think this special moment made my Sunday.



When I was about to shut my TV, a reporter was screaming on Hamilton’s victory at British’s grand pix. Though I’m not well aware of formula one racing I could make it out that Hamilton has made a good comeback. Silverstone had no home winner since 2000 and the crowds were cheering Hamilton for his ace win. Except for us, think Sunday was a good day for the rest of the sports world.

6 comments:

Y NAME IT said...

I believe you are just starting to follow tennis and I believe this is your first Wimbledon final. You regard this to be the best match you have ever seen. That shows you have'nt seen the lights of Pete Sampras, Goran Ivanisevic, Aggasi fight it out at the centre court. Those were glorious times. Ya of course this is claimed to be the longest Wimbledon final ever, but certainly not the best.

Don call it a come back. Hamilton was right up there ever since he made is Formula 1 debut last year. This is his second appearance at Silverstone and he has managed t win it. The rain made life very difficult for all drivers, but Hamilton managed to hold on to the road and finally cross the chequered flag.

As for the India Sri lanka match I have no comments. I am thoroughly disappointed. You cannot say you could'nt read Mendis and we were not prepared for it. Off late we have been faltering at the finals. The coach and team management have to take a look at it and sort out the problem.

On the whole, as you said, an action packed Sunday :)

sushma said...

well, may be i cld have misd all those pete sampras, aggasi's prev matches..think i have already made it clear that the match looked best ONLY to me...thn reg hamilton..it was a tv report and not my opinion or comment and i have already admitted the fact that i'm not interestd or well aware of F1! third..as a far is asia cup is concerned i didnt even mention abt mendis menace or talked abt india's consistency.. i didnt cmpre the finals with prev matches..my opinion was purely on sunday's match..evn i was disppointed to c our men lik tht...

Unknown said...

vettiya oru naal t.v parthatha article akka parthurukka..article parava illa. but atha vida cricket, tennis, f1 monayum mix panni sports pathi eluthalamnu thonuna un reporter puthi pidichirunthathu

sushma said...

reporter vaiyila pattam...thnx Mr.sports correspondent...

Prathima said...

Enjoyed reading your post! You know I don't follow any of the sports these days..Your writing was more like highlights. :)

I think blog posts are personal journal writings and the author is entitled to his or her opinion. So, I am not venturing into fact checking or criticizing the choice of topic. :) :)

Viki said...

Good one.. I gained in this some knowledge.. the recent terror was Mendis.. good article to read